Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I need your help!!

I am having difficulty with Kennedy. She has been getting up at least once or twice a night for the past 2 weeks. I did the whole cry it out thing when they were three months old and they have both slept through the night quite well ever since. However, when Kennedy cries now....it is the loudest SCREAM you have ever heard and she does not calm herself down.

We took her to the doctor almost two weeks ago because I thought she had an ear infection because she was not sleeping well. The doctor just said she was healthy and she probably just wanted us to comfort her and give her her pacifier. She recommended we put several pacifiers in her crib so she has a better chance of finding one.

Last night she started crying at 12 by 12:30 she was choking herself and about 10 seconds in between breathing/crying. I went in and checked on her because by this time I had made up every possible scenario for her being in danger such as hanging by her pinkie about to hit the floor. After getting her to settle for about 1 min...once i crept out of the room it all started up again...it lasted until 1:30.

At 3 I heard her cry again. This time I turned off the monitor and bolted myself to the bed and wept! This time it only lasted about 1 hour.....so until 4.

6 am - she was up. Now, my rule is I don't get the kids out of bed until 7 am. If they choose to be awake before then great..but they won't get out of bed until then. So at 7 on the dot still crying and screaming I fed her her bottle.

Any advise on what to do. I have been letting her "cry it out" for about 2 weeks, she looks to be healthy, she may be teething so tylenol/teething drops have been tried.

Please help!! I am getting VERY little sleep!


12 comments:

Lisa said...

With Zack, an earlier bedtime helped.

When he came home he was overtired and waking during the night crying. We temporarily moved his bed time very early (5:30 pm), then slowly moved it back until we found the "sweet spot"--about 7-7:30 (this was quite a bit earlier than his original bedtime of 8-9).

So sorry this is happening. Hearing your kids cry and not knowing what to do is the worst! :(

Mindi said...

Heather
Good job on staying strong. You are much stronger than me, because I give in and that is why Avry still doesn't sleep through the night. So I don't think I would be a good person to take advice from on the sleeping issue.

I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know how exhausting it is.

Amanda said...

oh Heather, I feel for ya. That's the pits. Hopefully she's not waking Owen up too. I can remember when Luke was teething he had a hard time sleeping at night. He usually slept well during the day and woke at night... go figure... I would just rock with him until he would calm down, cause he would really work himself up when he would cry at night. I always worried that if I picked him up this time he'll want it every time. That's not always the case. Some nights they just need a little lovin'. Sorry I can't be of much help, but just know that your not alone in this! Best of luck...

Tripp said...

they are smart little buggers and the fact that she got you once from crying may mean she keeps doing it?? Ben sleeps thru the night every night, but he will get sick and we will give in and get up with him. He learns that crying brings Mama so it will take us aother two weeks to break him with some grueling nights. Kennedy is also at a GREAT age for seperation anxiety... Hea I am so sorry that this is going on. Call if I can help.

Anonymous said...

You are talking to the weakest Mom in the world right now, so keep that in mind.
Finn wanted a bottle in the middle of the night until about 9 months, so I gave him one.
I also agree with the overly tired thing. After I have missed my kids naps or kept them up later than I should I sometimes still have trouble with them waking up too early or not wanting to go to sleep.

Brink Boys said...

Aww, that stinks Heather! You are stronger than me too, Chase used to do this(not so much screaming, but just whining...) and I gave in a lot. Have you tried music in their room? That seemed to work with Chase. I would also give the earlier bed time a shot...it sounds like she is having trouble getting herself back to sleep for some reason. If it is teeth, (which generally hurt more at night)a little ibuprofen at night might not hurt either! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish I had the willpower you have to stick to your awesome bedtime route. You could come over and be my Nanny 911. I'm a big sucker for going in the room and then I would end up feeding him and rocking him. It would only take a few minutes, but he would expect it at the same time every night. My first try would be Motrin and a big bottle before bed and the many pipes in the crib with her.
I feel for you. Your an amazing Mom and I look up to you! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

We had this same scenario with our middle daughter. She kept it up for about 2 months. I would go into her room once to make sure she was alright and then go back to bed and cry and sweat until she quit screaming (usually lasted an hour or so, seemed like eternity). This could happen a couple of times a night, too. Just stick to it, be consistent and they do eventually get over it! Hang in there!

Robin said...

i have no advice...but i feel for you and wanted to say that you are an awesome mom and it will get better!

Kim said...

The only time that Lucy started waking up a lot in the middle of the night was when she was teething. Have you rubbed the Orajel on the gums? The problem with that stuff is it only works for like 20-30 minutes. When you rub your fingers on her gums, does it feel rough like sandpaper? I totally feel for you. My guess is that this is just a phase and that she will grow out of it. It sounds like you are doing all the right things though.

Little's said...

Thank you all so much for all of your advise!!! We will see how tonight goes! Last night was a bit better only got up once for about an hour...I didn't enter her room at all....it was soo hard! P.s. Owen has been sleeping downstairs so he doesn't wake up.

Anonymous said...

Heather if you are still reading tips from folks.... We have used a few of the above. But one other thing that we did for Abby a few times was give her a bottle. Although she was teething at the time... she had also been eating like crazy too, so we wondered if she was having a growth spurt. The nice thing about the bottle is we would be back in bed within 15 minutes and she wouldn't be up again til morning. And, luckily, she never got in a habit of getting up for it (she likes her sleep!). I know this suggestion is a scary one... so only use it if you are desperate!! (We were, since we were already up with Will every darn night!!)