Disclaimer: VERY long post....I just don't want to forget some of the bad days too!!
I know technically Owen and Kennedy are past the terrible twos because they are in their third year of life at the the age of two but I think they missed the memo. On Monday I had to go to the Social Security office because we e-filed our taxes and it was rejected because my birth date was incorrect. After confirming with Jeremiah that I indeed knew my birth date. We re-submitted when it was once again rejected, I had to go into the Social Security office. After trying twice before without kids and being turned away because I didn't have the correct paperwork(different people telling me different things),I NEEDED to get it taken care of and had no choice but to bring the kids with me. Soo with my purse stocked with fruit snacks and suckers we tried to leave the house so we would arrive exactly when they opened. Unfortunately, as you may have guessed nothing goes as planned with two two year olds so we were five minutes late and had a waiting room full of people before us. The kids did great!! Yup, they played a game on my phone, talked with each other played peek-a-boo with various strangers and collected business cards. They were getting a bit loud and starting to run so it was time to break out fruit snacks. After those were gone and there were a few people still ahead of us. The kids started fighting over my phone and running in and out of the automatic door I was forced to bust out my last piece of bribery...suckers. All in all the kids did very well and after a 7 minute "interview" they spotted a drinking fountain and insisted on a drink. Of course the bathroom was right there and Kennedy needed to use the big potty (she still wears diapers). Soo while I was very proud of her for wanting to use the potty....it was not great timing...but such is life right. As I was getting Kennedy undressed for the potty Owen decided to play in the toilet water and unroll the toilet paper....how does that happen in less than 2 seconds?? After everyone was cleaned up we headed out!
On our drive home we passed Aldi....one of the kids favorite stores:) So they insisted we go to the store. Soo we headed to Target...BIG mistake. We picked up a few items in the dollar section to play with while I picked up the necessary purchases..ha! Well, somewhere along the way one of them must have put down their echoing microphone so they were fighting over the other one. They were both screaming at the TOP of their lungs. I was so embarrassed and it took them awhile to calm down. Since I used all "snacks" at the SoS I now had to move on to deal making. I told them if they were very good and didn't scream anymore we could play play dough when we got home! After a very taxing 5 minutes we made it to the check out. The kids were doing very good and even put back their distraction toys with no fuss. When we checked out a coupon for $1 off a kids meal printed off. It was nearing lunch time and who can resist a $3 lunch:). I put the kids in the seats and the table while I picked up the food from the counter. I brought the food to the table and gave them each their hot dog and a little popcorn while I went to get our drinks. When I returned they decided they didn't want the popcorn on their plates but the popcorn that was in the bag....so it was ALL over the floor and table. Owen discovered that the bar holding the chairs was fun to stand on and so he started playing on that when he fell. While I was comforting him Kennedy decided to take drinks of the icee herself..since I only have two hands and counting with time out was not working it spilled...of course! Owen got back to his chair and jumped again and I put him in a timeout in the corner of cafe area. When I turned around Kennedy was LICKING UP THE ICEE OFF THE FLOOR!!!!!!!! After I rinsed her mouth out 1000 times and bathed her in hand sanitizer I see Owen CRAWLING out of his time out! I then put her in timeout for picking the food up off the floor (She knows this is VERY bad). While she is in time out Owen starts picking up the spilled popcorn and eating....so he goes back to time out. Sooo I finally get smart or so I think. Sooo I put him in the back of the cart while putting Kennedy's coat on! He thinks it is fun to jump in the cart so that it makes a loud noise! I tell him to sit down. I put Kennedy in the 2 seat-er front of the cart while I attempt to clean up a bit of the disaster! BAD IDEA they are now jumping opposite each other so the front of the cart is off the ground then the back...you get the idea...all the while spilling my pop and popcorn all over our coats that were in the back with Owen. I was physically shaking I was so ANGRY and embarrassed because the cafe is right in front of all the checkout lanes so everyone is watching the "show". When we get to the car it would just be to easy for Owen to get in his car seat without trouble. Soo after physically having to get tough with him to get him buckled up we were off!
Once we got home they were ANGELS the rest of the day!
9 comments:
All I can say is...WOW.
I've had moments like that with the kids I have nannied for...so I know its going to happen with my kids too!! So that's probably what everyone else was thinking if they saw what was going on...its happened to them as well!! :o)
Definitely a great idea to write it all down...you gotta remember the good, the bad and the ugly...so you can look back and laugh later! :o)
Oh hea, thatnks for this post. Makes me realize that my kids are normal :)
I still stick by my advice -- keep a $5 bill in your pocket and when it all comes apart, leave the mess and give the counter person the $5. Had great time with the kids and you guys this weekend.
Love Grandma Litt.e
Heather - your a great Mommy with amazing patience. Keep up the great work.
Great idea for blogging this horrible day. It will fun to smile at a few years down the road.
ps-We had to leave the gorcery store the other day too because D was being a monster. He climbed up top on a 12pack diet coke pyrmaid...it was high!
duuuuude! i can't IMAGINE having 2 children going opposite directions. i have to admit that i laughed outloud when i got to the part about drinking the icee off the floor. bless your heart for being such a great mama and also for sharing this story!
So glad you share the good and the bad...it's good to remember that we are not alone as moms...we all have hell-ish days sometimes! And you have such a knack for telling stories...love it!
I think your'e Superwoman, and even Superwoman's kids have bad days :)
Thanks for your honesty, Heather! I just about got sweaty pits reading that story. ;)
Heather, that was one hilarious post. Sorry, it was funny. Really funny. I totally cracked up when I got to the part about Kennedy licking the icee off the floor (in all caps, of course) and then I could just picture your face! You should go back to Target and ask them for the tape from the security camera. Memories. You're a great mom and a great blogger, too!
Post a Comment