Monday, March 23, 2009

Trip to Wal-Mart

What a fun day! I don't work Monday's so the kids and I spent the day hangin out. We had about 10 time outs today between the two of them we are trying anything to learn "no". I got quite a bit done around the house so that was good! I also got all the invites finished and sent out for Sonya's wedding shower so that was fun! The kiddos and I took a quick trip to the post office and then went to Wal-Mart. I HATE Wal-Mart because they put so many small businesses out of business but I needed a few things and I was in the area so we quick ran in. Jeremiah came along and put Owen on his lap in a motorized scooter and I put Kennedy in the cart. I grabbed a bag of carrots from the produce section when the limes caught Kennedy's eye. She kept saying ball, ball. So I thought I should just let her carry around this lime maybe it will keep her occupied. It worked well for the first few minutes until she kept trying to eat the lime. I have been trying to discipline with 1-2-3 then a timeout...after about 3 times of trying to eat this lime I took it away. Oh my goodness I have never heard her scream so loud. She was MAD her lips even started to turn blue because she was crying SOOO hard. Jeremiah and I were so embarrassed but we couldn't give her the lime back so we kept trying to get her attention on something else but she wasn't having it. Finally Jeremiah's phone did the trick and she quited down. Then she was her happy self again saying hi to everyone. All of you who have kiddos what do you do in these situations? I just don't think she liked Wal-Mart! Here are a few pictures from today..when they were not in timeouts for turning on and off he TV.







Jeremiah's boot looks bigger than Owen. He was trying to figure it out while daddy was letting his foot air out for a bit
.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Keely said...

Ha! Matthew's time-outs were for turning on and off the tv too until we blocked it :-) I don't know if it's helpful, but whenever I take Matthew anywhere I have a baggie of pretzel sticks or a piece of licorice in my purse or pocket...just in case he freaks out I can give it to him. I also hate being "that mom with that kid" but I think everyone has been there, so now when I see a kid screaming in the store I just smile at the mom :-)

Anonymous said...

The only way to totally avoid the situation is to not take them out! Some things I do to help is to make sure I go at a time when the kids are well fed and well rested. And I don't push my luck, I really hustle my way through the store. That's all I've got, I'm not an expert disciplinarian yet. 8)

Tripp said...

They are so easy when you don't have to discpline them aren't they? I have heard, though I have never done it, that the best thing to do is to take them out of the situation even if that means leaving your groceries...

Anonymous said...

We struggle with that too Heather. Deacon HATES sitting in the cart and I won't let him walk. So we have lots of screaming fits. I get really embarassed when it happens and have been know to go to the toy aisle and find something to let him play with while I shop. We did end up having to cut our Costco trip short last week because there was nothing Tom or I could do to make him stop throwing a fit. Toddlers...geez!

Robin said...

hey, at least you were only at WALMART - I share your hatred...I am sure most of the patrons didn't even notice. if they did, they probably just felt sorry for you as they are parents of screaming children themselves. overall, it sounds like a fun day!

Kate_Edwards said...

That is a parents worst nightmare, all kids do it! I'm not going to be one of those kid-less people who tell you what to do :)

Miss you & Happy Spring!!