Monday, March 17, 2014

Baby Girl


Yes, its true it has only been 8 months since I have posted and it is about time I start blogging again!


Warning- Birth Story....may be TMI

Emerson Lynn was born on November 4, 2013.  She weighed 7lbs 4 oz and was 21 inches long. I had a C-section scheduled for November 6 but started going into labor early on Monday November 4. I definitely felt contractions this time and was leaking amniotic fluid. I got the kids ready for school and mentioned to them that they may be a big brother and sister by the time they got home from school. I text ed Jeremiah just to see when he thought he would be home and called the doctor.  Luckily, they still had me on the schedule for an apt at 10:30 even though the nurse and I cancelled that apt the Wed before, so it worked out perfectly! Around 9:30 I was wondering if I should be going to the doctors appointment or if I should be going straight to the hospital. The contractions were getting more intense and were anywhere from 16 minutes about to 5 minutes apart. At my appointment I walked in to give my urine sample and I lost my mucus plug. It was such a disgusting feeling and I felt completely awkward getting checked after that. The doctor checked me and said "looks like we are having a baby this afternoon".  I was about 5 cm dilated and we were instructed to go right to the hospital. we got to the hospital about 11:30 and I was being prepped for surgery.  The anestgiologist came in and started talking with me and he mentioned that his partner Dr. Knoester would be performing the surgery. I immediately asked if it was Peter Knoester and they told me yes.  Of course it had to be someone I went to high school with!! After I got over my embarrassment, I was wheeled in for a C-section that started about noon.  The spinal went perfectly and it was not as painful as I thought it would be. Also, it was a complete blessing that I didn't have time to get anxious about the C-section. Dr. Knoester was great and talked with me about his twins and high school orchestra. It was such a God thing I went into labor on my own with no chance to worry and to have someone that kind of knew me, was pretty neat ( although I didn't think so at the time). 


I could feel every movement but it was not painful and when they pulled her out I could hear the cries of a healthy baby girl.  It was amazing! I can't explain how different I felt this time around. With Owen I was so concerned he was not okay because he was so early, but with Emerson I was just overcome with emotion, pure joy. They held her up to show her to me for a few seconds before taking her to the scale to clean her off a bit and weigh her. When they brought her back all swaddled, I got to hold her for a long time. It was wonderful watching her look into my eyes.  It was crazy to watch her just blink and adjust to her new life outside the womb.  AMAZING!



1 comment:

Jenna said...

Heather--this is an awesome story. First I am glad Peter delivered your daughter--too cool. And I LOVE how you describe how that made you feel! Your family is GORGEOUS hope you all are doing well.